Skip to main content
Specific Item Type >
Limit your search
Specific Item Type
- Fredericka of Greece, President Segni of Italy, and Chancellor Erhardt of Germany at the LBJ Ranch; heads of state gifts; dinner with the Jack Valentis and Bill Whites; White's book on LBJ and his book on Senator Robert Taft
- , I sat down to lunch downstairs, in that room where
I first came to a dinner with the Kennedys in January of ’61, with Bess, and Liz, and Ashton, and
Tish Baldridge, who had come down to give us about four days of her time for advice and
- Lady Bird returns to White House; Johnson family to St. Mark's Church; lunch with the Dean Rusks, Robert McNamaras and McGeorge Bundys; Vietnam; Lady Bird and LBJ to Bob Thompsons; dinner with the Valentis
- in answering the m ail M rs, Kennedy had received
af ter the P resid en t’ s assassination.
L iv e ly , attractive, a newspaperman's
wif e - she said you could read just so much of it, day after day, time after
time until you fin ally got saturated with g r
- us, and Lucy Baines
an d in the car with us Bob Waldron and the H arry McPhersons. There w ere long,
long lines of solemn, respectful people, all along the hill in Robert E. Lee’s home as we
wound up to the gravesite. The gravesite was covered
- JFK lies in state at the Capitol; the Johnsons attend St. Mark's Church; Eunice Shriver tells the Johnsons Lee Harvey Oswald has been killed; Jacqueline Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, John-John and Caroline ride to the Capitol in the car with the Johnsons
- with Harry Middleton about film project; Lady Bird sits for sculptor, Robert Berks; visit with Lynda Robb & Luci Nugent during sitting; dinner for Hubert Humphrey and the Cabinet; photos of ladies & LBJ with Cabinet; toasts; papers to LBJ Library
- Middleton about bur film project and then around four o'clock
Friday, January 10, 1969
into the Lincoln Bedroom for a two hour sittin g with Robert Berks
the sculptor, who is doing my head.
I took a batch of mail in and
signed i t and worked
- enthusiasm here.
ha.rid it could well be that this is a sleeper.
On the other
I've had sane reports that the
·older folks, the more established people, tend to view with some reservation
the McCarthy-Kennedy statements and ask the question, "Well, what do
- Sculptor Gilroy Roberts brings the model of LBJ's head for the Presidential Medal; Lady Bird visits Caroline Kennedy's school on third floor of the White House; Lady Bird remembers her mother's death when she was five; Lady Bird spends the afternoon
- Lady Bird attends meeting about artwork for the White House; diplomatic relations are restored with Panama; Robert Anderson; reception and LBJ's speech for the 15th Anniversary of NATO; Lady Bird mentions individuals attending the reception; Lady
- in the East Room ^'w hich we a re a lre a d y obligated
fo r , since they w e r e selected by M rs . Kennedy about last Septem ber a n d
a lre a d y woven in F ra n ce.
And then we look fo rw a rd to w hatever else we
m ight a c q u ir e !
H e’ s r e a lly
- Canmittee including Joe Clark and Bob Kennedy and their
visit to Mississippi and subsequent demands that we declare an emergency in the
denies that there is anyone who doesn't have $2.00 in Mississippi for food.
We sent him names, as I thi.nk I've
- Robert Kennedy is shot in Los Angeles; LBJ discusses gun control with Senator Mike Mansfield; LBJ calls Senators Dirksen & Aiken about agriculture; Lady Bird cancels appointments; Lady Bird works on telegrams for Rose & Ethel Kennedy; LBJ makes
- Act; Lady Bird observes Robert Kennedy; LBJ & Lady Bird to LBJ Ranch
- ; Lady Bird meets LBJ at hangar; park meeting continues at the LBJ Birthplace; to LBJ Ranch house; Johnsons, Lynda & Chuck Robb and the Krims drive the Lewis place; Robert Kennedy announces run for President; "Guess Who's Coming for Dinner?" movie shown
Kennedy walked into his office, the first time after John Kennedy 1 s death.
It was Lyndon that suggested that we see Guess Who's Corning to Dinner,
and we all went out to the hangar which is completed now, for showing movies, .
and very nice, except
- LBJ & Lady Bird read newspapers; to St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York City, for Robert Kennedy funeral; the Johnsons pay respects to the Kennedy family; lunch on plane back to Washington; Lady Bird reads newspapers and takes nap; mourners killed
- Lady Bird, LBJ and staff are up late because of the Farm Bill; Lady Bird does office work; LBJ, Lady Bird and Lynda Johnson attend funeral for General Douglas MacArthur; Lady Bird exchanges brief remarks with Robert Kennedy; Lady Bird describes
- Office work; recording in Jacqueline Kennedy Garden for Hudson Valley trip; Lady Bird with Lynda Robb to doctor's office; lunch with Lynda; Chuck Robb & Patrick Nugent in Vietnam; meeting about Beautification stamps; office work; Lady Bird works
- the inventory and sale of the Elms; evening social gathering of Johnson and Kennedy staffs; Ted Sorensen; Abe Fortas' interest in art and music; Jacqueline Kennedy's work; [Nancy] Salinger; LBJ's tour of the White House; civil rights legislation
- it to start looking like the Johnsons lived here. I put
out a picture of President and Mrs. Kennedy--no, I believe it’s just the President--and
Caroline, and the pony, the little pony that Lyndon gave them. And then I put out a picture
of Daddy with Tommy
- Friends and volunteers help in White House living quarters; Lady Bird meets with Clark Clifford and others about the White House Fine Arts Committee; preservation of the White House and the Capitol; Jacqueline Kennedy's recommendation to discontinue
- , Ann Chapman, Wendy Marcus, Jo Sherfy – a
lot of good old friends putting their shoulders to the wheel.
Mary Ellen Monroney and I went out to look for some chintzes for the windows for the two
rooms that will be left vacated when the two Kennedy
- New Year's Eve; renewed fighting in the Near East; Senator Ted Kennedy will fight Russell Long for Senate Whip position; LBJ is swimming every day & walking with Lady Bird; coffee at Rev. Truesdale's; Johnsons meet new Treasury Secretary at airport
- for an attack on Lebanon, and I pray
that any crisis w ill hold o ff another twenty days. And for the country, an
Senator Teddy Kennedy w ill fight Russell Long for
the job of Senate whip.
Lyndon is not waiting for the New Year.
- /operations c lo s e to Picayune, and fro m there, fin a lly , to C a p e
It would fo llo w the path of the Saturn, fro m it 's birth place in
Huntsville, to its launch pad at C a p e Kennedy.
F o r me/' the purpose is / to find a device to get
- and Warrie Lynn Smith at State Dinner; Kennedy family; death of Indian Prime Minister Nehru; LBJ's toast; entertainment by George C. Scott and Colleen Dewhurst
- and w ife .
The Ir is h have r e a lly put th eir stamp on our p o litic s ]
And fro m the court - Justice and M r s , Brennan - this r e a lly was the
night fo r the Iris h m a fia ,
The sta ff that we had in h erited fro m the Kennedy A d m
- the children’s ward, a little engagement that Mrs. Kennedy had
made some weeks ago and had asked me to keep.
I took Lucy and Beth Jenkins with me, and we had baskets of toys to distribute among the
children. The people were lined up out front: Dr. Schultz
- would not be a candidate for re -e le c tio n .
desk is a bleak business.
I thought about how the house had looked
when I had v is ite d Mrs. Kennedy five years and two months ago.
could be gripped by the sadness then.
Today I cannot.
- te d though I didn*t m e et them so a lso w e re the
Gene Cham bers and H. E. Butt; old tim e rs lik e Tom C o rc o ra n a nd Jim
Row e; quite a fe w g o v e rn o rs , in cl uding the Sanfords; not a Kennedy in
sight, and ev e ry w h e re m o re and m
- Johnsons to National City Christian Church; lunch, newspapers and Republic Convention on TV with LBJ; cocktail party at the Jack Valentis; dinner at White House with friends; news story about LBJ and the Presidency; Bobby Kennedy
- to be the trad e m ark
of Lyndon and h is b o y s.
A ctu a lly in cold fac t, he n eed s m any of the things
that Bobby Kennedy has and r e p r e s e n ts and is able to
a ttr a c t.
But , as he h im s e lf sa id , we tr a v e le d d ifferen t
p a th s
- ay 9» 1964
P a ge 3
Then we went quickly out to M itc h e ll F ie ld on Long Island, fo r the
dedication o f a John F , Kennedy Educational C iv ic and C u ltu ral Cente r .
The scene was oddly ru ra l so clo se to New Y o r k C ity.
fie ld , w ith
- Tour of White House gardens with Mrs. Paul Mellon; plan to create a Jacqueline Kennedy garden; personal time swimming with friends and family; approval for Jacqueline Kennedy Garden; telephone call to Jacqueline Kennedy
- the sum m er.
THE W H ITE HOUSE
Sunday, M a y 3, 1964
I think Kennedy sent back, during those three y e a rs that he did it, a good
number o f in form ed, enthusiastic friend s and possibly future public
tram poline used to be.
It is now g o n e ^ it belonged t o M r s . Kennedy^and
the hole has been f ille d and lev e le d .
We la y down on the ground and looked up at the blue, blue sky until we
began to fe e l damp and cold, and then thought what
- Lady Bird's clothing and shopping for shoes; call to Jacqueline Kennedy, who has a little girl with chicken pox; call to Nellie Connally and Lady Bird's concern for politics in Texas; call to Mary Lasker about art; dinner with A.W. Moursund, Babe
- Lady Bird's trip to New York for clothes fitting; lunch with Billie and Wendy; Tax Bill passed and signing ceremony; LBJ's speech and praise for Sen. Byrd; LBJ & Lady Bird to Mrs. Kennedy's house to present 4 signing pens; presentation of tray
I t ' s b e e n one y e a r , one m o n t h a n d
two d a y s s i n c e P r e s i d e n t K e n n e d y ' s v i r g i n a p p e a l to ge t i t p a s s e d - a n d
I ' d h a t e to put h o u r to h o u r a l l of the c a l l s , the t a l k s
Iarry 0 '3rie:n, and s
- LBJ and Lady Bird attend Red Mass at St. Matthews Cathedral with Luci, and Pat Nugent; Lady Bird reflects on bronze plaque in church about President Kennedy; Johnsons go to Jack Valenti's for coffee; lunch back at the White Housie; LBJ takes a nap
- of P r e s id e n t John F i t z g e r a l d Kennedy d u r in g
th e f u n e r a l ma s s .
P r e c e d in g t h e i r rem o v a l t o A r lin g to n
where t h e y a w a ited th e jo y o u s day o f Re s u r r e c t i o n . "
Somehow th e pronouns
- Senator Edward Kennedy's plane crash; Lady Bird calls Rose Kennedy, Birch Bayhs and Mrs. Edward Kennedy; telephone conversation with Lynda Johnson about security problem on her flight; office work; Lady Bird reads; walk around White House
- Lady Bird meets with Chief Usher, J.B. West, at the White House; in the afternoon, Lady Bird returns to the White House and discusses housekeeping details with Jacqueline Kennedy; Mrs. Kennedy's request for Caroline's school at White House
- Return home from Florida; Visit to and meeting with Mrs. Kennedy about Society for the Preservation of the White House and its members; Mrs. Kennedy agrees to be public member; Fine Arts Committee; gift of four JFK minted coins; office work; John
- each o f the two c h ild re n ,
and one which I said I h o p ed--I thought perhaps she m ig h t lik e --to send on
THE W H I T E HOUSE
F r id a y ,
F e b r u a r y 28, 1964
to M r s . R o s e Kennedy, I said goodbye
THE W H ITE HOUSE
W A S H I N G T ON
Thursday* M ay 28, 1964
What a busy day.
It began a little a fte r 11, by going to A r lington
C e m e te ry to la y a w reath on the g ra ve o f P re s id e n t Kennedy, because
to m o
- Women Doers Luncheon with speaker, Jane Jacobs; funny story about Mrs. Charles Marsh; LBJ makes brief appearance; office work; Dorris Powell tells stories about Lady Bird's mother; LBJ & Lady Bird to dinner in New York honoring Jacqueline Kennedy
- , and then w hen e v e r y th in g i s in p la c e in it
it w i l l be turned o v e r to the F e d e r a l g o v e r n m e n t,
B obby w a s e a s y , r e la x e d , but he i s an e n ig m a to m e .
M r s , R o s e Kennedy w a s th e r e , a s s lim and p r e
the sa.nie group last
that had so :;\\'J.n1pctl Prc:sitlcnt
Monday, July 20th (c1 •. tinued)
Kennedy that he had lost a tie clasp and a shoe, so it was reported, and had
been kissed, mauled and clutched
- and LBJ birthday; recordings project of White House entertainment with proceeds to Kennedy Center; visit with Texans at luncheon; walk in gardens with Dr. and Mrs. Morgan; visit with Luci Johnson
- Lady Bird describes riding in the motorcade in Dallas, Texas, with JFK, Jacqueline Kennedy, Governor John Connally, and Nellie Connally; hearing shots fired; feeling the car accelerate and arriving at [Parkland] Hospital; Lady Bird discusses