Skip to main content
Mrs. Johnson's secretarial staff
Limit your search
Specific Item Type
- the White House by chopper with the President, Joe Califano, Marie, and party; then from Andrews
to New York City; to St. Patrick's Cathedral for funeral services for
Senator Robert Kennedy.
Motorcade to air field; returned to Andrews Air Force Base.
- THE WHITE HOUSE
MRS. LYNDON B. JOHNSON, Daily Diary
Mrs. Johnson began her day at (Place)
Date Thursday, June 6, 1968
The White House
(The news has come that Senator Robert Kennedy has died in Los
9:07 Left National Airport on Eastern Shuttle.
2. 10:57 Arrived at the Hotel Pierre, New York City. Was met by Mr. Robert Dowling, the
Fitted clothes with Adele Simpson, Miss Treyz, and Mrs. Raines (Adele Simpson's
- :50 To elevator w/ President, Mr. and Mrs. McCone, Robert Kennedy, and Secretary Hodges
7:07 To helicopter and to Air Force One. Dinner in flight.
8:20 Arrive White House.
8:30 In President's Bedroom w/ President and Governor Connally.
- in dressing room.
3:27 Called Bess.
3:38 Called Paul Fischer.
3:39 With Luci, Helene, and Marilyn to the theater to see Luci's movies of R&R in
Hawaii and documentary on "Robert Kennedy Remembered."
4:40 To the second floor.
To Marilyn and Helene's office
- . The President talked about our retiring
soon -- he wasn't very happy about the pancakes.
9:30 Sunbathed on the upper deck.
11:00 Played bridge on the fantail with Jake, Beryl, and Liz Roberts. The exhaust fumes
made me sleepy. (Watched Senator Dirksen
- all dinner guests;
to the State Dining Room for dinner.
10:35 To the parlors for coffee.
6. 10:54 To the East Room for entertainment. Robert Merrill and The New Christy Minstrels!!
11:40 To the North Portico with the President to bid goodbye to guests
- to have lunch
with the President.
2:18 To Mr. Per's shop for comb-out.
3. 2:50 Returned to the White House.
3:25 To the first floor -- had pictures taken with the house guests in the Red Room.
3:40 To the Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Garden with Erv Duggan
- Fredericka of Greece, President Segni of Italy, and Chancellor Erhardt of Germany at the LBJ Ranch; heads of state gifts; dinner with the Jack Valentis and Bill Whites; White's book on LBJ and his book on Senator Robert Taft
- , I sat down to lunch downstairs, in that room where
I first came to a dinner with the Kennedys in January of ’61, with Bess, and Liz, and Ashton, and
Tish Baldridge, who had come down to give us about four days of her time for advice and
- Lady Bird returns to White House; Johnson family to St. Mark's Church; lunch with the Dean Rusks, Robert McNamaras and McGeorge Bundys; Vietnam; Lady Bird and LBJ to Bob Thompsons; dinner with the Valentis
- in answering the m ail M rs, Kennedy had received
af ter the P resid en t’ s assassination.
L iv e ly , attractive, a newspaperman's
wif e - she said you could read just so much of it, day after day, time after
time until you fin ally got saturated with g r
- us, and Lucy Baines
an d in the car with us Bob Waldron and the H arry McPhersons. There w ere long,
long lines of solemn, respectful people, all along the hill in Robert E. Lee’s home as we
wound up to the gravesite. The gravesite was covered
- JFK lies in state at the Capitol; the Johnsons attend St. Mark's Church; Eunice Shriver tells the Johnsons Lee Harvey Oswald has been killed; Jacqueline Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, John-John and Caroline ride to the Capitol in the car with the Johnsons
- with Harry Middleton about film project; Lady Bird sits for sculptor, Robert Berks; visit with Lynda Robb & Luci Nugent during sitting; dinner for Hubert Humphrey and the Cabinet; photos of ladies & LBJ with Cabinet; toasts; papers to LBJ Library
- Middleton about bur film project and then around four o'clock
Friday, January 10, 1969
into the Lincoln Bedroom for a two hour sittin g with Robert Berks
the sculptor, who is doing my head.
I took a batch of mail in and
signed i t and worked
- Sculptor Gilroy Roberts brings the model of LBJ's head for the Presidential Medal; Lady Bird visits Caroline Kennedy's school on third floor of the White House; Lady Bird remembers her mother's death when she was five; Lady Bird spends the afternoon
- Lady Bird attends meeting about artwork for the White House; diplomatic relations are restored with Panama; Robert Anderson; reception and LBJ's speech for the 15th Anniversary of NATO; Lady Bird mentions individuals attending the reception; Lady
- in the East Room ^'w hich we a re a lre a d y obligated
fo r , since they w e r e selected by M rs . Kennedy about last Septem ber a n d
a lre a d y woven in F ra n ce.
And then we look fo rw a rd to w hatever else we
m ight a c q u ir e !
H e’ s r e a lly
- Robert Kennedy is shot in Los Angeles; LBJ discusses gun control with Senator Mike Mansfield; LBJ calls Senators Dirksen & Aiken about agriculture; Lady Bird cancels appointments; Lady Bird works on telegrams for Rose & Ethel Kennedy; LBJ makes
- Act; Lady Bird observes Robert Kennedy; LBJ & Lady Bird to LBJ Ranch
- ; Lady Bird meets LBJ at hangar; park meeting continues at the LBJ Birthplace; to LBJ Ranch house; Johnsons, Lynda & Chuck Robb and the Krims drive the Lewis place; Robert Kennedy announces run for President; "Guess Who's Coming for Dinner?" movie shown
Kennedy walked into his office, the first time after John Kennedy 1 s death.
It was Lyndon that suggested that we see Guess Who's Corning to Dinner,
and we all went out to the hangar which is completed now, for showing movies, .
and very nice, except
- LBJ & Lady Bird read newspapers; to St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York City, for Robert Kennedy funeral; the Johnsons pay respects to the Kennedy family; lunch on plane back to Washington; Lady Bird reads newspapers and takes nap; mourners killed
- Lady Bird, LBJ and staff are up late because of the Farm Bill; Lady Bird does office work; LBJ, Lady Bird and Lynda Johnson attend funeral for General Douglas MacArthur; Lady Bird exchanges brief remarks with Robert Kennedy; Lady Bird describes
- Office work; recording in Jacqueline Kennedy Garden for Hudson Valley trip; Lady Bird with Lynda Robb to doctor's office; lunch with Lynda; Chuck Robb & Patrick Nugent in Vietnam; meeting about Beautification stamps; office work; Lady Bird works
- . Rose Kennedy, Mrs. Joan Kennedy, Dr. Corridan
re: plane crash - Ted Kennedy
Talked to Lynda re: flight from Hawaii - man threatened wife, etc.
11:30 Dictating machine
3:30 Met Ashton's parents
4:00 Sun roof in bathing suit - read "The Best Plays
- . Wore shocking pink dress
1. Eight-year-old spoon!
9:00 Left the hotel with Lynda.
9:45 Left New Orleans Airport with Lynda, press, and staff.
2. Studied Cape Kennedy info; looked over speeches.
2. Lunch en route. Gave little tour guide speech.
- . Palmer
9:00 Mayor and Mrs. Palmer departed
1:00 Worked with recording machine
1:30 To ground floor to greet Senator and Mrs. Ted Kennedy and
Mr. and Mrs. Lowell Guinness
1:45 Returned to second floor and talked with Miss Katherine Lee
- to dedicate it as Jacqueline Kennedy Garden
Received guests and had tea
2:22 President came over to Jacqueline Kennedy Garden
2:45 President returned to his office
2:50 Guests departed - returned to second floor
3 - 3:30 Lucinda fitted dresses
- the inventory and sale of the Elms; evening social gathering of Johnson and Kennedy staffs; Ted Sorensen; Abe Fortas' interest in art and music; Jacqueline Kennedy's work; [Nancy] Salinger; LBJ's tour of the White House; civil rights legislation
- it to start looking like the Johnsons lived here. I put
out a picture of President and Mrs. Kennedy--no, I believe it’s just the President--and
Caroline, and the pony, the little pony that Lyndon gave them. And then I put out a picture
of Daddy with Tommy
- THE WHITE HOUSE
MRS. LYNDON B. JOHNSON, Daily Diary
Mrs. Johnson began her day at (Place)
Date Tuesday, November22, 1966
8:30 Wake up
(The President sent telegrams to Mrs. Kennedy and Ambassador
- Krim, and Joan Kennedy (from Austin) joined.
8:59 Returned to Aspen.
9:00 Dinner with the above guests, minus CR Smith (who had left at 4:30), plus Mrs.
Joan Kennedy (who had come during the afternoon).
After dinner, we
- Friends and volunteers help in White House living quarters; Lady Bird meets with Clark Clifford and others about the White House Fine Arts Committee; preservation of the White House and the Capitol; Jacqueline Kennedy's recommendation to discontinue
- , Ann Chapman, Wendy Marcus, Jo Sherfy – a
lot of good old friends putting their shoulders to the wheel.
Mary Ellen Monroney and I went out to look for some chintzes for the windows for the two
rooms that will be left vacated when the two Kennedy
- walkeda mile
10:42 then got into car and drove to the Rev. Truesdell hous e fo r cup of coffee
2. 11:02CTJ withthe President to the end of the runway to greet David Kennedy, Secretary Designate of
12:30 lunch with the President, David Kennedy
- to the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden.
Returned to the second floor.
1:00 Lunch in the Queens' Sitting Room with Lynda and Mrs. Alice Longworth. (Broiled
lobster, fried shrimp, peas, salad, rolls, cookies and sherbet.)
2:59 To the South
White House for Mr. Per's for shampoo and set.
Worked with Liz and Simone re: New England trip.
To the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden for a photo re: airport
4:00 Reception for Academy of Science women
5:00 To Sewing Room to see Luci in Queen's dress
5:20 To Jacqueline Kennedy's home
6:40 To first floor for reception for labor press - East Room
7:30 Refreshments in State Dining Room
- MRS. LYNDON B. JOHNSON, DAILY DIARY
THE WHITE HOUSE
May 28, 1964
Activity (include visited by)
To Kennedy Grave
To LaGuardia and Eastern Shuttle
7:00 Left New York. On board: Walter Wash, Katie Louchheim, Nash Castro, Simone
7:55 Landed at National
8:10 White House
Walked in Jacqueline Kennedy Garden
9:10 Theater w/ Luci to watch home movies
9:40 Upstairs to second
- on Unknown Soldiers
Tomb. President spoke in Amphitheatre. Flowers on Kennedy grave.
11:50 Returned White House and went to second floor w/ Mr. and Mrs. Bishop.
12:40 To Rose Garden w/ Bishops and Lynda. President was there w/
Mary Margaret and Courtenay
- President in to talk to Luci and me about Camp David and Airline Strike. Worked on desk.
4. 7:77 Into Jacqueline Kennedy Garden and walked around South Grounds.
8:30 Back inside.
5. 10:00 Ate dinner alone.
10:25 With President and Jake to Sheraton Park
- , Luci and Pat
3. 2:40 Arrived New York Kennedy International
Chopper to Liberty Island for signing of Inauguration Bill
Returned to Wall Street heliport
Motorcade to Waldorf-Astoria Towers
4:30 To Presidential suite. Visited with Yolanda, Vicki, Luci
- School, the Kennedy
Playground (ideal use of land, use vivid colors, believe area should be
landscaped to avoid offending residents of surrounding areas) to Montgomery
School, to Bernard School, to John L. Young Playground (example
- :37 Departed White House grounds - looked at 2 service stations,
1:35 Returned to White House grounds - walked over
to (Jacqueline Kennedy) Garden
To second floor
1:36 Mrs. Kate Simmons to second floor
2:12 Accompanied by Liz and Mrs. Simmons